Coordinator-General call-in

The State Coordinator-General works actively to drive investment in South Australia by creating an environment that welcomes private sector development and stimulates job creation.

Requests to the State Coordinator-General for a call-in shall be received no later than 5 March 2021. All applications that are called-in are required to be lodged no later than 18 March 2021. If a call-in is not lodged by this date, the call-in status of the project will lapse.

The Coordinator-General is appointed to "call-in" certain developments to the State Planning Commission for assessment.

Developments that are eligible to be called-in are:

Developments must also satisfy the criteria set out by Schedule 10 of the Development Regulations 2008.

Read the Development Regulations 2008

Developments solely for residential purposes are excluded. To be considered, residential developments must also incorporate any of these land uses:

  • Purpose-built student accommodation
  • Aged care or serviced accommodation
  • Industrial
  • Commercial
  • Retail

Proposed developments called-in by the State Coordinator-General

Before you apply, check if you are eligible:

To apply, contact:

    Graeme Jackson
    Director, Legal and Statutory Services
    Department for Infrastructure and Transport
    Level 4, 50 Flinders Street
    Adelaide SA 5000


When the State Coordinator-General calls-in a development, the State Planning Commission is assigned as the relevant decision making authority.

The proposal must go through a complete development assessment process in line with the requirements of Development Act 1993 and Development Regulations 2008 in urban council areas and councils with regional towns and cities which were excluded from the Phase Two roll-out of the Planning and Design Code.

Map and list of council areas included in each phase (PDF, 452 KB)

The assessment process is the same as a Council’s processes. In all cases, applications are assessed against the Development Plan established for the Council area where the development is being proposed.

As part of the assessment process, the application will be referred to Council for a period of six weeks for Council to make comment relating to their specific areas of expertise or in general. At the same time, any prescribed referral to State agencies will also take place. Public notification may also provide a means of raising issues or concerns related to planning matters.

Where public notification is required it will be either a letter sent to adjoining owners or occupiers of land inviting comment, with no statutory appeal rights or a letter sent to adjoining owners or occupiers of land and other affected properties in the locality plus a notice in a newspaper inviting comment. The latter has legal appeal rights.

The time taken to determine an application depends a range of factors including:

  • if the application needs to be publicly notified
  • State agencies need to be consulted
  • the application is complex
  • the nature of any issues raised and potential additional information required.

Section 94 of the Planning, Development and Infrastructure Act 2016 enables the Minister to permit the State Planning Commission be the relevant authority for certain applications. Examples of these applications are:

  • a development is of major social, economic or environmental importance; or
  • the development involves benefits, impacts or risks that are of significance to the State; or
  • the cumulative effect of the development, when considered in conjunction with any other development, project or activity already being undertaken or carried on, or proposed to be undertaken or carried on, at or within the vicinity of the relevant site, gives rise to issues that are of significance to the State; or
  • the development is directly related to—
    • a development that has already been called in by the Minister under this section; or
    • a development that is considered by the Minister as being of significance to the State;
  • the Minister considers that the proposed development would have a significant impact beyond the boundaries of a particular planning region or a particular council;
  • the Minister considers that the proposed development may have a significant impact on an aspect of a precinct under Part 2B of the Urban Renewal Act 1995;
  • an assessment panel appointed by a council or a joint planning board, or a regional assessment panel, has (in the opinion of the Minister) failed to deal with an application for development authorisation within a reasonable period;
  • the proposed development involves land situated in more than 1 planning region or the area of more than 1 council;
  • the Minister considers that it is otherwise necessary or appropriate for the proper assessment of the proposed development that the proposed development be assessed by the Commission.

If you are compiling a request under Section 94, an email including the details of the request is required to be submitted to for consideration. The reasons for the Minister in determining the State Planning Commission be the relevant authority shall be included in the request email. Once a determination is made by the Minister, you will be contacted. If you would like to discuss this in further detail please contact 1800 752 664.