The planning system is complex and can often require experienced professionals to make procedural judgement calls.
To support them, sections 42 and 43 of the Planning, Development and Inrastructure Act 2016 (the Act) includes the ability for the State Planning Commission to issue practice directions and guidelines.
About these instruments
A practice direction may specify procedural requirements relating to any matter under the legislation. Practice directions will likely address a range of matters previously covered by the Development Regulations 2008.
Throughout the PDI Act there are many specific instances where the State Planning Commission is allowed to issue a practice direction. They are issued by the Commission by a notice in the Government Gazette and must be published on the PlanSA portal. The Commission also has the power to revoke or vary a practice direction through the same process of notification and publication.
In accordance with the provisions of the PDI Act, the following matters may require the establishment of a practice direction:
- public notification procedures
A practice guideline may provide guidance with respect to the interpretation, use or application of the Planning Rules (including the Planning and Design Code) or the Building Rules.
Practice Guidelines are issued by the Commission, with the approval of the Minister, by a notice in the Government Gazette and published on the PlanSA portal. The Commission also has the power to revoke or vary a practice direction through the same process of notification and publication.
If you can't find a document, try searching PlanSA's resources library.
- Practice Direction 16 - Urban Tree Canopy Off-set Scheme 2021
- Practice Direction 15 - Building Envelope Plans 2021
- Practice Direction 14 - Site Contamination Assessment 2021
- Practice Direction 13 - Notification of Crown Development Applications 2020
- Practice Direction 12 - Conditions 2020
- Practice Direction 11 - Deemed Planning Consent Standard Conditions 2020
- Practice Direction 10 - Staged Occupation of Multi-storey Buildings
- Practice Direction 9 - Council Inspections 2020
- Practice Direction 8 - Swimming Pool Inspection Policy 2019
- Practice Direction 7 - Out of Council Areas Inspection Policy
- Practice Direction 6 - Scheme to avoid conflicting regimens
- Practice Direction 5 - Appointment of additional members to an Assessment Panel
- Practice Direction 4 - Restricted and Impact Assessed Development
- Practice Direction 3 - Notification of Performance Assessed Development
- Practice Direction 2 - Preparation and Amendment of Designated Instruments
- Practice Direction 1 - Environment and Food Production Areas - Greater Adelaide