Design review enables design advice from an independent panel of professionals at the state and local level.
Design Review is an independent evaluation process, where built environment experts consider the merits of a development proposal and identify opportunities to encourage high quality design.
Design quality relates to:
- the look and feel of buildings and places
- how successfully development meets the needs of people who use and experience it
- making building and places better for people, the environment and economy.
Design Review is most effective when undertaken early in the planning and design process, prior to a development application being lodged, where the opportunities to effect positive change are greatest.
State design review
State Design Review has operated successfully in South Australia since 2011.
It is currently available to development proposals that will be assessed by the State Planning Commission and referred to the Government Architect.
Eligible developments are:
- $10 million or more in value in the City of Adelaide
- Five storeys or more in the:
- Inner Metropolitan Adelaide Urban Corridor Zones
- District Centre (Norwood) Zone (City of Norwood Payneham & St Peters)
- District Centre (Jetty Road) Zone and Residential High Density Zone (City of Holdfast Bay)
- $3 million or more in value in the Port Adelaide Regional Centre Zone (City of Port Adelaide Enfield)
- Major projects and projects of state significance
- Located within the Design Overlay of the Planning and Design Code
Local design review
The Draft Local Design Review Scheme is currently on consultation
South Australian councils also offer pre-lodgement design advice to proponents at a local level.
The new Local Design Review Scheme will set out a consistent approach for the delivery of Local Design Review across the State and will support those councils who choose to offer the service within their communities, as well as independent Design Review providers.
The draft Local Design Review Scheme seeks to:
- support high-quality design
- improve access to independent and expert design advice early in the planning and design process
- support consistent and informed planning decisions
- facilitate collaboration between allied professionals that can positively contribute to professional development.
How to apply
To enquire about State Design Review, visit the Office for Design and Architecture South Australia’s website.
A record of public consultation relating to this planning tool is listed below.
Consultation closed on 21 August 2020
The Office for Design and Architecture South Australia (ODASA) has prepared the draft Scheme on behalf of the Minister for Planning in collaboration with the State Planning Commission, local government staff from across the State and representatives from peak industry bodies.
Feedback on the draft Scheme was sought from councils, industry professionals and any other interested parties.