The Planning, Development and Infrastructure Act 2016 (PDI Act) establishes a new planning and development scheme to replace the previous scheme operating under the Development Act 1993.
This Act also provides for infrastructure planning, implementation and funding.
About this document
The PDI Act modernises South Australia’s planning and development system and builds upon recommendations made by the Expert Panel on Planning Reform in 2014.
The new planning and development system is complex and requires experienced, accredited professionals to make procedural judgement calls.
Key outcomes of the Act are:
- a new development assessment system to streamline assessment
- establishment of a State Planning Commission to act as the State's principal planning and development assessment body
- establishment of an online ePlanning system ('the SA planning portal')
- provision for infrastructure planning, implementation and funding
- engagement of the community in the setting of planning policy through a Community Engagement Charter
- joint planning arrangements for local government through establishing a planning agreement
- recognition of ecological sustainability and the needs of diverse communities in the state's planning system.